This is it, the Apocalypse, whoa
This Spring and Summer has been a learning first foray into preaching Revelation. I told the Garnett Church of Christ congregation that if I take the risk to preach on Revelation, they ought to take the risk to read Revelation. Many did! And we learned how to read Revelation in a new way. After three months of study, we love the conclusion of the angel St. John fell down in front of, just after he told John to get up and stop groveling at his feet, that they were fellow servants: "Worship God. The testimony of Jesus Christ is the spirit of prophecy." We learned that Revelation is not about images & predictions as much as it's about God on the throne, Christ ruling now and forevermore, and aligning our lives to the kingdom that is both already and yet to come, the New Heaven and the New Earth, that we long to live in and we long to see break into the world even now.
- Revelation powerfully reminds us that no matter how bad the world seems, God is on the throne, Christ rules the cosmos!
- Revelation calls us to be faithful witnesses in the pattern of Christ.
- Revelation reminds us that Satan is going down, that God will judge the whole earth & all inhabitants, & His judgments are just and true.
- Revelation shows us a hopeful picture of the New Heaven & New Earth, that God in Christ is making "everything new," removing the curse, & will complete his goal: to dwell with His people forever.
- Revelation gives us fresh courage for living now as we live counter to our culture that opposes Christ & encourages self-rule, as we endure hardship, persecution, & wait patiently for Christ's return.
- Revelation is not about images & predictions but about God. The final word of the messenger to John is "Worship God." Revelation shows us how to live & worship God as ruler of the universe & not ourselves, Satan, or any other power that claims to be god in our lives.
Resources I find very helpful on Revelation
[contact-form][contact-field label='Name' type='name' required='1'/][contact-field label='Email' type='email' required='1'/][contact-field label='Question' type='textarea' required='1'/][/contact-form]